Roulette 101 – Everything You Need to Know
Best Roulette Casinos in February 2020
260 Bonus Spins
- Brand New Casino
- Generous Bonus
- Trusted Casino
35x Wagering Requirement
120 Bonus Spins
- Popular Casino
- Big Bonus
- Free Spins
35x Wagering Requirement
100 Bonus Spins
48x Wagering Requirement
200 Bonus Spins
40x Wagering Requirement
If you have ever been to a land casino, you have seen the crowds of people standing around a roulette table. The electric energy radiating from the tables draws many people into the game. Because of this popularity, many people seek out that same experience with online casinos.
Most casinos will offer at least a few tables of roulette, and some will even have live versions of the game. Once you understand the rules of roulette, it can be a fun diversion that offers you a great chance to gamble and earn some money.
The History Of Roulette
The origins of the game roulette can be traced back to the 18th century in France. It was first devised by a Frenchman, Blaise Pascal, who was searching for a perpetual motion machine. His invention later became the roulette wheel.
Until the 1800s, the single zero was red in colour, and the double zero was black, but it was confusing for some places. It was later updated to the iconic green that we now associate with the roulette reel in online casinos.
Since the early days of the roulette, many different forms of roulette have popped up, with the two biggest differences between the European style (one single zero), and the American version (a single zero, and a double zero). However, in 2016, The Venetian Las Vegas first introduced the first triple-zero wheel. Since that time, a few other casinos have also adopted this version. However, the most popular version will either have a single zero, or both a single zero and a double zero.
One interesting fact about the roulette wheel is if you add up all the numbers on the roulette wheel (0 to 36), the sum is 666, which is the “Number of the Beast.”
The Basic Rules Of Roulette
In French, the word roulette translates roughly to a “little wheel.” Roulette might seem complicated at first, but it contains just three parts: a wheel, a ball, and the roulette table.
Regardless of whether you are playing in-person or online, you will see that the table and the wheel both have the numbers 1 to 36 written out, and a single zero. As we stated above, the American casinos do often have a different version of roulette, and their wheel and table will contain a spot for the green double zero.
The numbers will alternate in colour between red and black, except the single zero and double zero. The zeros will often be green. When placing bets on the roulette table, you can choose between a wide variety of bets, including betting on evens, odds, red, black, low (1-18), high (9-36), and first, second, or third dozen. Depending on your bet, you will have different odds of winning, and each bet pays out differently.
When playing online, the game will happen automatically once you place the bet. That means you can go as slowly or as quickly if you want. However, if you are playing in a live version of the game, you will only have 15 – 30 seconds to make your betting decisions. The dealer, also called a croupier, will toss the roulette ball in the opposite direction of the rotating roulette wheel. While you likely won’t notice this when you play roulette online, it is worth noting.
At a real roulette table in Las Vegas, or the live version of roulette at online casinos, the dealer will call it when you are no longer able to place more bets. Once the roulette ball starts rolling, you aren’t able to change your bet. When the ball stops spinning in the wheel, it will land on a certain number and colour. If you guess the right colour, number, or section correctly, you will be awarded based on your betting odds. If you choose incorrectly, you lose that bet. You aren’t limited to betting on just one thing; as long as you are within the minimum and maximum of a table, you can place as many or as few bets as you wish.
Roulette is one of the most popular games for new casino betters due to the fact that it is fairly simple to learn, and it pays out well, just like it’s cousin Baccarat. We will talk at length about the betting odds, but if you were to decide to bet on just black or red, you would have approximately 50/50 odds of winning your bet back. However, you do have to remember that the single zero and double zero are both green, which helps to give the house a slight edge.
How To Bet In Roulette
When you play online, you will be able to choose how much you want to bet. If you are playing in-person, you put those betting chips on many different spots and wagering opportunities. When making your bets, it is essential to establish that the single zero and double zero are not odd or even, and are not black or red. Therefore, you won’t win an “even” bet if the roulette ball lands on zero.
All the winning percentages are based on the European roulette wheel, which has one less number than the American roulette wheel. Because the American roulette wheel has a double zero, your winning chances will go slightly down if you play on this version. Regardless of the version you are playing, the payout rate stays the same. In roulette, you place many different types of bets, but those listed below are some of the most popular.
- Inside bets are one of the easiest to understand for players. You place an inside bet by putting your chips or bet on one or more numbers on the roulette table. Here are a few examples of an inside bet:
- Straight Up Bet: The European roulette wheel has 37 numbers (1 to 36, as well as the single zero) on the roulette wheel. If you were to bet on just one of these numbers, it would give you a return of 35:1. That means if you were to bet $1 on the black 15, and the ball landed on that number in the wheel, you would win $35, in addition to getting your original stake back. But, remember, since there are 37 different options on the European roulette wheel, and only one of them can win, your chances of winning are 1/37. That means for every $37 you bet, you would get just $36 back. However, on the American roulette wheel, since they also have the double zero, your odds of winning would be a little bit less.
- Split Number: A split number bet happens when you place the chip between two numbers that are adjacent. These numbers can either be next to each other vertically or horizontally. For example, the red 26 and black 29 are right next to each other. You can put your chip in between these two numbers and would win a payout if the roulette ball lands on either of these numbers. A winning bet on a Split Number pays out 17:1. You have a 5.4% of winning this bet.
- Line or Street Bet: This bet covers an entire horizontal row of three numbers. You must place the chip (or click your mouse, if you are playing online) on the vertical line on the outermost number in that particular row. You are betting on three numbers, so the win chance is 3/37, or 8.1%. If you win this bet, it pays out 11:1.
- Basket Bet: A basket bet is when you make a bet either on 0, 00, 2, or 0, 1, 2 or 00, 2, 3. It pays out 11:1, and you have an 8.1% of winning.
- Corner or Quad Bet: To place this bet, you put a chip (or more!) on the intersection or corner of four numbers. Because you are betting on four numbers, you have a 10.8% chance of winning, and the bet pays out 8:1.
- Top Line Bet: To place this bet, you put a chip on the border that covers the 0, 00, 1, 2, and 3. It pays out 6:1.
- Double Street or 6 Line Bet: To make this bet, you bet on two adjacent “streets,” or two lines of three numbers. You win if any of those six numbers come up, so you have a 16.2% of winning. This bet pays out 5:1.
- Outside bets are the opposite of an inside bet. For this kind of bet, you must place your wager outside of that central number grid on the roulette table. These types of bets won’t be on a specific number, but instead on a column, odd/even, high/low, and red/black. Here are the most common outside bets and its payouts. Once again, these winning percentages are based on the European roulette wheel.
- Column Bet: To make this bet, place a chip on the head or the top of the long columns of numbers. When you do so, it means you are betting on all twelve numbers in that column. You have a 32.4% chance of winning, so the payout is only 2:1.
- Dozens: The roulette table is split into three blocks, with a dozen numbers into each block. To bet on this, you put the chip or click your mouse on the left side of the table. You have a 32.4% of winning this type of bet, and it pays out 2:1.
- Odd/even: Novice players often start off with this type of bet because it is the easiest type to make. On the roulette table, you’ll see a space reserved for odd and even bets. Simply put your chip there to have a 48.6% chance of winning. Because of the relatively good odds of winning, it pays out 1:1 when you win.
- Red/Black: Another common type of bet because it is easy for new players to pick up on. Just like the odd/even types of the bet, you simply put your chips in the black or red section on the table. With a 48.6% chance of winning, you get a payout of 1:1.
- Low/high numbers: Low numbers are 1 to 18, and the high numbers are 19-36. Note that the single zero and double zero are not included in this bet. On the roulette table, you’ll see any option to make this bet in one specific area of the table. By placing the chip there, you can make that bet. You also have a 48.6% chance of winning this bet, and it will pay out 1:1.
Roulette Betting Strategies
When you first start to bet, you might want to try out a few things to see what type of strategy you like the best. As you begin to develop your own techniques and methods, you’ll realize how you should act when you win, lose, and how much to bet.
As you use these strategies, you’ll see that some of these strategies, as well as other popular techniques, are done by using even bets. That means that you will reduce or double your next bet depending on if you win the bet. To fully take advantage of these types of strategies, you have to be paying attention to each round and make smart bets.
Remember, betting is always a gamble. Therefore, even if you follow these strategies every time, there is no guarantee that you will go home with money. These methods are instead meant to help you gamble online or on your mobile phone for longer periods of time. Using these strategies, you likely won’t win lots of money, but you also won’t lose a ton of money. However, if you are smart, you can stop playing when you go on a winning spree and take home a nice chunk of change. These strategies can help you get on a spree. Keep trying out these strategies to see what works best for you when you are playing at an online casino. Here are the best roulette wheel techniques for winning at roulette.
- Martingale Strategy: This is one of the most common betting techniques out there, and if you are playing with other people, you might see that they are following this strategy. This strategy has you double your bet until you make a winning bet. Regardless of the bet you make (evens, odds, line bet, basket bets, etc.), you can use this bet. Of course, if you are just starting out, I recommend that you make easier bets that have more straightforward odds, like odds/evens, high/low, or red/black because these bets payout 1:1. The odds of you winning this bet are about 50%, so you have a good chance of winning a few bets in a row. Regardless of the bet you make, make sure to double the next bet when you lose a bet.
- The Reverse Martingale Strategy: As the name suggests, the Reverse Martingale strategy takes the opposite approach of the Martingale strategy. Now, instead of doubling your losing bet, you double your bet when you win.
- D’Alembert Strategy: This betting technique is another one that is more suitable for even money bets like red/black or odds/evens. It is a relatively low-risk betting strategy, so that means that you probably won’t lose or win much money each bet.
- This strategy is similar to other bets, and your next bets depend on what happened in the previous one. If you win the bet, you lower your betting amount by one. When you lose a bet, you should raise your bet amount by one. For example, if you start off betting $2 on red, and you lose, you should bet $3 on the next bet. With this strategy, as well as the other ones on this list, you should decide how much you can afford to lose before you cash out. Likewise, you should decide how much you want to win before walking away. That way, you can keep your gambling losses to a minimum.
- Reverse D’Alembert Strategy: As you might have guessed, this strategy has you do the opposite of the D’Alembert strategy. Instead, you should increase your bet by one when you win, and decrease your wager by one when you lose.
- Fibonacci Betting Strategy: Since the year 1202, the Fibonacci number sequence has been around. You’ve likely heard of it before; to follow this sequence, you add the sum of two numbers to get the next. Therefore, if you start with one, the sequencing order would go 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21, 34, etc. You can use this strategy on the even money bets (red/black and odds/evens), and it lets you win money in small increments. When following this strategy, you should increase your bet by the next number in the series when you lose. However, when you win a bet, you should retreat back two numbers in the sequence. This technique can be a bit tricky for new players to keep track of, so I do suggest that you use a pen and paper to keep track of what your bets are and what you should be betting next.
- The Reverse Fibonacci Betting Strategy: If you decide to use this strategy, you should do the exact opposite of the Fibonacci betting strategy. If you win, you should take one step up in the Fibonacci sequence. If you lose your wager, you take two steps back in the sequence.
Six Tips For Playing Roulette Online
- Find a table with a Live Dealer: At some online casinos, you’ll find some that offer the chance to play with a live dealer. In this situation, you’ll be playing with other players, and there will be a real wheel and table used. This game will be just like a real table at Las Vegas. It does take a little longer for each round to happen, but it has a much more authentic feel. Plus, if you are a new player, it can be helpful to see what the strategies of other players are.
- Play at a European roulette table. All of the odds of winning each bet that we mentioned above were by using the European roulette wheel. This version has only one zero on the wheel, which means you better odds for you as a player. The return to player is 97.3%, whereas the American roulette wheel offers 94.73% odds. If possible, you should play at an online casino that offers the European roulette wheel.
- Don’t make side bets. Just like in many other casino games, side bets are almost never profitable for you as the player. You shouldn’t make them in roulette either. Otherwise, you might lose more than you make.
- Don’t bet more on a single spin than you can win on one of your bets. As we talked about before, you can make more than one bet. You could choose to combine any number of bets that you want. In fact, that is the strategy of people to make many different bets. However, in order to be profitable, you should never bet $10 in total if you won’t win that back if one of your numbers does win.
- Decide your limits. One of the best ways to safely gamble online is to set your limits before you even start. Maybe you are only prepared to lose $100. Once you have reached that limit, make sure that you stop gambling immediately. If you decide you want to win $50, then make sure to stop when you hit that number too. Taking breaks can also be a good way to switch up your luck.
- Read reviews and recommendations. Playing at a new online casino can sometimes be a risk. You want to make sure that it is a trustworthy place to spend and gamble your money before you make a deposit. It’s always a good idea to read reviews and recommendations of other players before you pick your online casino.
- If you are a new player, find a casino that offers a free cash bonus so you can try the game for free before depositing any money
Versions of the Online Roulette Games
Different casinos will offer a variety of roulette games. You can try out the kind that you like the best to decide what is right for you.
- American roulette: This version has both a single zero and double zero on the wheel.
- European roulette. With only zero on the wheel, it gives you slightly better odds than the American roulette wheel.
- Roulette Royale. This roulette wheel has a slots-like feature, where you can hit a progressive jackpot. This pot can be up to hundreds or thousands of dollars. When the same number is landed on five times in a row, it means you win the progressive jackpot.
- French roulette. This version is like the European roulette and only has a single-zero roulette wheel. One interesting rule this roulette wheel has is called La Partage. When you make an even-money bet (odds/evens, black/red, etc.), and the ball lands on a zero, you don’t lose your entire wager, but instead, only half.
- Multiplayer roulette. If you and five of your friends want to play at one time online, then the multiplayer roulette game should be your go-to.
- Multi-wheel European roulette. If one wheel is too boring for you, you can instead spin on eight roulette wheels online at the same time. Because you are spinning more wheels and bets, your chances of winning (or losing) big is greater.
Now that you understand how to play roulette, and some of the strategies behind betting, you can join an online casino, make your first deposit, and spin that wheel. Because online roulette wheels are automated, everything does move quickly. Make sure to take breaks, set limits, and have fun!